Manila and the Philippines in astrology. The astrogeographical positions of the capital of the Philippines and foundation charts for the Philippine nation.
Articles on political astrogeography & birth charts of nations: African Union + Capitals, Amsterdam, Ankara, Asian Capitals, Athens, Bagdad, Bangkok, Beijing, Belgrade, Berlin (en), (Berlin (dt), Bern, Brasilia, Brussels, Cairo, Canberra, Caracas, Copenhagen and Nuuk, Damascus, EU & European Capitals, Havana, Helsinki, Hongkong, lslamabad, Jakarta, Jerusalem, Kiev, Kabul, Lhasa, Lima, London, Madrid, Manila, Mexico City, Minsk, Moscow, Myanmar, New Delhi, New York, North American Nations, Ottawa, Paris, Prague, Pyongyang, Riyadh, Rome, Seoul, Stockholm, South American Nations, Taipei, Tehran, The Hague, Tripoli, Tokyo, UNASUR, United Nations, Vienna, Warsaw, Washington, Wellington,
Manila and the Philippines in astrology
The Metropolitan region of Manila in the 45 km wide Manila Bay is an ideal site for a large harbor. The City is located on a a narrow isthmus (11 km wide) between Manila Bay and the backwaters of Laguna de Bay which is not connected to the sea. The position on a long and narrow isthmus is symptomatic of the astrogeographical position in the combination of Aquarius with Aries. License: GNU-FDL.
Astrogeographical position of Manila
Astrogeographical resonance coordinates for the City of Manila for morphogenetic field level 1 which define the supraregional, international situation and role of the capital and government of the Philippines: Manila is located at 12° in creative, innovative air sign Aquarius the sign of the sky, heaven, paradise, innovation, emancipation, revolution, contrasts and at 11° in highly dynamic fire sign Aries the sign of action, speed, warfare, fighting and mobilization.
History and Foundation charts for the Philippines
Like many other nations the Philippines were first factually united under foreign colonial control. This means that the nations as such did not exist before their colonial history.
But in astrological geography I suggest to examine in how far and in what way the morphic surface fields of territories united under the control of single governments – colonial or autonomous – existed before the foundation of the nation.
The first European sighting of a Philippine island with Saturn conjunct Manila
- the first European contact with the lands of the modern Philippines occurred during the stabilizing transit of Saturn the planet of governments, stability, traditions and effective reality exactly conjunct the 12°Aquarius resonance coordinate of the capital Manila with several indications:
- the importance of the discovery of the Magellan expedition lay in the stabilization of the future capital Manilas role as the seat of government and administration in the national morphic field.
- Manila was marked as the final limit of the Spanish contacts with the Phillipines.
- the square aspect of the conjunction of Uranus as the sign ruler over the Aquarius resonance of the Manila region at 18° in Taurus the sign of market places, agricultural production, income, money and of the occupation and possession of territory with Venus as sign ruler of Taurus exactly square Manila and Saturn explains the heavy challenge to the status quo of the possession of territory and rulership over the whole of the Philippines.
- Jupiter (Zeus) the planet of travelling, hunting, searching, expansion, discovery and success orientation at 17°Sagittarius was conjunct the 15°Sagittarius resonance coordinate of the Spanish capital Madrid intensely describing the step made in the expansion of the Spanish Empire.
The Process of the Foundation of Manila
The City of Tondo first mentioned in the Copperplate Inscription from the year 900 CE was an important capital on the territory of the modern Manila Metropolitan region long before Manila was founded. Tondo was the capital of the Kingdom of Tondo.
Different versions regarding the year of the first foundation of Manila are 1258, 1369 and 1500.
In regard to the assumed year of the establishment of Maynila as a Muslim principality by Rajah Ahmad Rajah or Sultan Bolkiah in or around the year 1500 AD the astrogeographical transits of the year 1496 can serve as am overwhelmingly strong explanation for the process that led to the changes in the Maynila area.
- the square transit of Pluto the planet of trauma, pain, battle for power, stress, foreign control, dependence and ideologies joined by Jupiter the planet of victory, success, hunting, searching and expansion to the 12°Aquarius resonance coordinate of Manila explains extreme pressure and attacks on the status quo of government control in the area.
- the important equinox chart which marks the beginning of the astrological year can serve also as a “natal chart” for the whole chain of events of the year 1496/97. The chart shows the two female planets Moon and Venus joining Uranus the planet of globalization, innovation and revolution conjunct the 12°Aquarius resonance coordinate of Manila indicating an overturn of the status quo in the area accompanied by an inflow of wealth, goods, women and of possibilities.
- Neptune the planet of destabilization of territorial control, dissolution and clearing of overcome structures at exerted intense pressure on 10°Aries resonance coordinate of Manila through a square transit
After reaching the harbor of Manila by 8 May 1570 the Spanish expedition conquered and destroyed the Kingdom of Maynila founded by invaders from Brunei in 1500. They burnt down the existing Muslim fortress and city on 6 June 1570 and re-built a Spanish style fortress.
- the conquest of Manila in May 1570 had occurred as a consequence the Uranus ingress into Capricorn of 15 December 1569 which had initialized the issues of the square transit of the planet of globalization, innovation, revolution to the status quo 10°Aries resonance coordinate of Manila.
- Saturn the indicator for stability of government control, laws and administration at 15°Libra exerted intense tension on the 10°Aries resonance coordinate of Manila.
- Jupiter (Zeus) the planet of luck, success and expansion at 15°Aquarius was in the “Return of Zeus” conjunction with the 12°Aquarius resonance coordinate of Manila. JAs the ruler of Sagittarius the sign of the purgatory, of arsonists and of the 15°Sagittarius resonance stood for the burning and looting of the Muslim city of Manila by the Spanish colonialists.
The foundation of the Spanish Philippines in 1571
- the South Node at 11°Aquarius was exactly conjunct the 12°Aquarius resonance coordinate of the Philippine capital Manila.
- the North Node as indicator of aims and outcomes at highly centralist, royal sign 11°Leo the sign of gold was conjunct Mercury at 7°Leo the planet of tactical manoeuvres, thieves, transports, technology, symbols, signposts, roads, road crossings and information both opposite the 12°Aquarius resonance position of Manila.
- the aspect of the polarity between South Node conjunct and North Node opposite Manila explains the transfer of government control, authority, goods, wealth, incomes away from Manila to the new destination.
End of Spanish and Beginning of US Possession of the Philippines in 1898
The geo-strategical conflicts between the fast expanding USA and the declining Spanish Empire led to the Spanish–American War between April 21 – August 13, 1898. The start of the Philippine Revolution is usually seen as on 23 August 1896 when Spanish authorities discovered the secret anti-colonial Katipunan organization.
The Battle of Manila Bay on 1 May 1898 in which the American Asiatic Squadron destroyed the Spanish Pacific Squadron effectively seizing control of Manila was the first major incident in the Spanish-American War. On 12 June Baldomero Aguinaldo of the revolutionary, anti-colonial Katipunan issued a Philippine Declaration of Independence which was neither recognized by Spain nor by the USA.
The Treaty of Paris signed on 10 December 1898 ended the Spanish Colonial possession of the Philippines. That did not bring independence as the Philippines were passed over to the United States who regarded it as part of their geo-strategical sphere of interest.
- the conjunction of the North Node as indicator for the aims and outcomes of events at 8°Capricorn the sign of rules and regulations conjunct Mercury the planet of tactical manoeuvres were both square to the 10°Aries resonance coordinate of Manila making the decisions taken appear as the result of diplomatic gameplay behind the scenes.
- the position of Pluto the planet of losses, foreign control and battle for dominance at 15°Gemini exactly opposite the 15° Sagittarius resonance coordinate of Madrid explains the losses of Cuba and the Philippines for the Spanish side.
- at the same time the stabilizing transit of Saturn the planet of reduction, bones, durability, governments, effective reality, rules and regulations conjunct the 15°Sagittarius position of Madrid explains the consolidating effects of the Treaty of Paris for through the reduction of Spanish territories to the European homelands.
Philippine Independence of 1946 with Pluto and Neptune opposite Manila
The Hare–Hawes–Cutting Act of 1933 and the Tydings–McDuffie Act of 1934 decided the road map to the Independence of the Philippines from the USA.. The elections for the Philippine Constitutional Convention were held on July 10, 1934 and the 1935 Constitution worked out.
The American Proclamation of Philippine Independence was read to the public by the high commissioner to the Philippines Paul V. McNut followed by the first official hoisting of the new flag of the Philippines on July 4 1946, 9:15 (Nick Campion). This ceremony marked the beginning of the era of factual independence of the Philippines.
Later that the day the Treaty of Manila was signed.
- Pluto the planet of self-defense, trauma, pain and the battle for dominance at 10°Leo opposite the 12°Aquarius resonance coordinate of Manila marked a period of intense pressure on the status quo at the Philippine capital at the beginning of the era of the factual independence of the Philippine nation.
- the conjunction of Mercury the planet of intelligence, communication, sign-posts and symbols at 7°Leo with Pluto at 10°Leo in opposition to Manila explains the Philippine independence as a symbolical step under the geo-strategical control of the US government.
- It may be investigated in how far the position of Mercury at 7°Leo conjunct the 3°Leo resonance of the Chinese capital Beijing may be a hint at the importance of the step in regard to limiting the geo-strategical sphere of interest of future Chinese governments.
- Neptune the planet of the priority of essence over material form, pure spirituality, territorial insecurity and dissolution of overcome structures at 6°Libra was exactly square the 6°Cancer resonance coordinate of Washington explaining the holistic priorities during the giving up of the Philippine colony.
- at the same time Neptunes position here explains the Philippine independence as a first major step in the climax phase of Neptunes transit in opposition to the 11°Aries resonance of the capital and ruling government of the Philippines between November 1945 and October 1949.
- the combination of Neptune and Pluto in opposition to the capital explains that the Philippine independence was decided from outside the country.